If you’re upgrading from a device with a Home button, this refresher course can help you learn how to put iPhone 12 into DFU mode.
- Step 1: Connect your iPhone to your computer with a Lightning to USB cable. If this is your first time connecting your iPhone to this computer, you’ll need to tap the Trust button that appears on the Trust This Computer dialogue that appears. You’ll then have to enter your passcode on your iPhone to confirm the pairing.
- Step 2: Press Volume up and release.
- Step 3: Press Volume down and release.
- Step 4: Press and continue holding the Side button for 10 seconds.
- Step 5: While still holding the side button, press and hold the Volume down button for 5 seconds.
- Step 6: Release the Side button and continue holding the Volume down button for an additional 10 seconds.
When you successfully enter DFU mode, your iPhone should remain on a black screen. If you see the Apple logo appear, then something went wrong and you’ll need to try again.
How to exit DFU mode on iPhone 12
Exiting DFU mode is a little more involved than exiting regular recovery mode:
- Step 1: Press Volume up and release.
- Step 2: Press Volume down and release.
- Step 3: Press and continue holding the Side button until you see the Apple logo appear. Your iPhone should boot back to the Lock screen.