The OnePlus Nord is just beginning to arrive at the porches of early adopters, and there’s already a way to root it. XDA Senior Member Some_Random_Username has put together a guide that makes use of XDA Senior Recognized Developer topjohnwu’s Magisk to root the device.
Obviously there’s no TWRP or flashable Magisk zip this early in the product cycle for the Nord, so rooting it will take a few steps. You’ll need to have your PC handy and know your way around ADB and your PC’s command-line interface.
ADVANTAGES OF ROOTING ONEPLUS NORD
- Will Extend OnePlus Nord Battery life.
- Custom ROMs can be flashed on OnePlus Nord.
- You will be able to run special apps on OnePlus Nord.
- You can remove pre-installed apps on OnePlus Nord.
- Can boost CPU and GPU performance of OnePlus Nord.
DISADVANTAGES OF ROOTING ONEPLUS NORD
- Risk of “bricking” your OnePlus Nord.
- You won’t be able to use Banking Apps like Paypal, Payoneer.
- Your warranty will be void after rooting OnePlus Nord.
- You need to update the OxygenOS to the latest version (currently 10.5.2) from here.
- Download Stock Firmware for OnePlus Nord.
- I would highly recommend you to backup your device.
- Download Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC and install it.
- Download – Magisk Manager
- You have to enable “OEM Unlock” and “USB Debugging” and for doing this GO TO Settings > About phone> Tap on Build Number 7 Times > Go back to Settings > system > Advanced > Developer Options > Enable the OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging.
UNLOCK BOOTLOADER OF ONEPLUS NORD
- Connect you OnePlus Nord to PC and open command window.
- You have boot into Fastboot Mode by typing the following command:
adb reboot bootloader
- Now type the following command to unlock the bootloader of your device:
fastboot oem unlock
- Once the process is done, reboot your device and complete the OxygenOS setup process.
ROOT ONEPLUS NORD WITH MAGISK
- Install Magisk manager which you downloaded earlier.
- Extract the stock firmware and look for boot.img file.
- Now transfer the boot.img file to your device.
- Open Magisk Manager and tap on INSTALL → INSTALL → SELECT AND PATCH FILE. (Here you have to select boot.img which you have just transferred)
- Magisk will start the process to patch the boot.img file.
- Once the process is done, the patched file will be available in your phone’s Downloads folder.(magisk_patched.img)
- Connect your device and transfer the magisk_patched.img file to PC.
- Open command window in the folder where to just transferred magisk_patched.img file.
- Now you have to go back into Fastboot Mode by typing the following command:
adb reboot bootloader
- After you are into bootloader, type “fastboot getvar current-slot“ and press Enter.
If the output is a, type “fastboot flash boot_a magisk_patched.img” and press Enter. If the output is b, type “fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched.img” and press Enter.
- Lastly, reboot your Oneplus Nord.